Friday, February 22, 2013

Fast Food Made at Home: Take That, Egg McMuffin!


Background
Can I do that?  Can I mention "Egg McMuffin" in my post, or title no less, and not get sued by McDonald's?  I guess we'll find out!  Some time back, I started a series about mimicking fast food in your own kitchen.  Of course, the thing we want to mimic most is the taste; we're interested in attempting to ban all the preservatives, chemicals, extra fat and the like that somehow get injected into many fast food items.  So, with that in mind, and in combination with a mandate from my ob and gestational diabetes dietician to heavily watch carb intake, I present the next installment: the breakfast sandwich.  My iteration here is an attempt at one that uses egg, canadian bacon and cheese, but if you're a sausage or bacon fan, feel free to substitute.  I will say, the canadian bacon option is nice because it's so fast - and far less greasy than cooking bacon!  But see below for suggestions on subbing other meats.

Ingredients
1 egg
1/2 whole wheat sandwich thin
1 slice nitrate-free canadian bacon (I use a version from Hormel)
1 slice lowfat cheese (look for versions of provolone, swiss and cheddar from Alpine Lace or Sargento)
salt to taste
basil (or other seasoning, such as dill) to taste

Directions
 
In a small ramekin, beat egg with a bit of water, salt, and whatever spice you choose, if you choose. 












Place in microwave, covered with a salad/dessert plate.  Cook at 70% power for: 60 seconds for a jumbo egg, 55 seconds for a large egg.  You may hear some popping, but don't worry.  Your plate should be heavy enough to keep the egg in the ramekin.  If it gets too wild, pause the cooking process, let the egg settle down and then restart. 





Note that your microwave and mine might be different, so if this happens a lot, try cooking for slightly less time or at a slightly lower power level.








When egg is done, remove plate from top, wiping off bottom with a kitchen towel.  Place the 1/2 sandwich thin onto the same plate, topped with the canadian bacon and the cheese.  Remove the ramekin with the egg in it and put the plate in the microwave, heating contents for about 15 seconds, just until cheese is melty.  Remove the plate.  Run the handle end of your fork around the edge of the egg in the ramekin to loosen it from the sides.  Invert the ramekin over your thin, canadian bacon, and cheese so that it falls into the center. 





Let cool for a couple minutes and enjoy!












Substitutions and Notes
• In a fit of poor planning, one morning I ran out of canadian bacon.  I did have some nitrate-free ham, however, and popped a couple super thin slices of that atop the sandwich thin.  It was delicious and just as easy!

• If you like sausage or bacon, you can always feel free to cook some and use it instead.  The reason I haven't is because this dish is so easy and takes very little time.  To prepare those meats not only requires some forethought on my part (please read other blog posts to realize how elusive forethought is in my life!), but it also dirties a pan.  However, if you don't care about those things - forge ahead!

• If you care less about preservatives, but like the bacon and sausage, there are plenty of products out there that might make adding them to your sandwich a bit easier.  Hormel makes some bacon bits that seem more like real bacon than I remember from the past - they may be called bacon pieces.  Those could even be added to your egg mixture instead of put directly on the sandwich thin.  I have also seen some frozen sausage options that might be easy, though we've only ever tried the Morningstar soy product.  If you try any of these and it's fantastic, be sure to leave us all a note letting us know!

• Astute readers will notice that I've only used half a sandwich thin.  This is, in fact, an open faced sandwich.  Making it this way brings me up to 11 g of carbohydrates for breakfast and, in my current condition, that is all my body can handle.  If you're not in my same boat, feel free to add the second sandwich thin half on top.  Then you've got a real sandwich!

No comments:

Post a Comment